2015 Links Scholarship
It is with great pride that the women of the Central Illinois Chapter of The Links, Incorporated present the enclosed scholarship application for the 2014/2015 school year. We plan to award monetary scholarships to graduating high school students. Each scholarship granted will be at least $1,000. We are seeking African American Senior High School Students who plan to attend any accredited Post-Secondary Institution.
Central Illinois Chapter of The Links, Incorporated
Due Date: February 13, 2015
1. Applicant must be an African American graduating senior planning to attend an accredited Post-Secondary Institution for the 2015 - 2016 school year.
2. Applicant must have a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale or a 4.0 cumulative GPA on a 5.0 scale.
3. Applicant must reside in the Bloomington/Normal, Peoria, or Decatur areas.
4. Applicant cannot be a relative of any member of the Central Illinois Chapter of The Links Incorporated.
5. Applicant must be a United States citizen.
1. An official high school transcript of courses completed must be mailed to the address listed below. If you are selected for the scholarship, you will be directed to provide a letter of acceptance and a copy of your official registration of first semester courses before funds are dispersed.
2. Please attach a typewritten one page personal history/biography.
3. Also attach your response to the essay question below. The essay gives us an opportunity to become acquainted with you in ways different from grades, test scores and other objective data. It allows you to show your ability to organize your thoughts and to express yourself.
The essay should be a minimum of 500 words. Please address one of the following question:
"Discuss your involvement in your community, school or elsewhere. What role does community service play in molding you as a person? What have you accomplished because of your community service?"
Essays will be judged on the following:
- The essay should be double spaced using Times New Roman font size 12.
- The response should be between 500 - 1000 words.
- Comprehension - The essay reflects a through comprehension of the essay topic.
- Organization - The essay should exhibit clarity of thought.
- Development - Concept clearly developed through critical analysis.
- Creativity - The essay should express fresh new ideas and originality of thought.
- Writing - Correct grammar, good sentence structure, spelling, punctuation and concise language.
- Each essay must contain a title page (not considered text) with the following information:
1). Student’s First and Last name
2). Question selected
4. When completing Section III, please use the full name of awards, clubs or organizations (no acronyms). Attach additional sheets as necessary to complete Section III.
5. Please attach a head shot picture of yourself [jpeg ONLY] to be used in the 2015 The Link Tea Ad book.
Please mail your transcript to the following address:
The Central Illinois Chapter of
The Links, Incorporated
c/o Scholarship Committee
P.O. Box 1815
Bloomington, IL 61702-1815
*If you are selected as one of the Scholarship winners, you will be invited to
The Links, Incorporated Annual Tea celebration:
Date: April 11, 2015
Time: 11:00 a.m.
Location: The DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
10 Brickyard Drive
Bloomington, IL 61701
A scholarship presentation will be made to the winners at The Tea.
Applications must be postmarked on or before February 13, 2015.
- Completed application - submitted on or before 2/13/15
- Attached Essay
- Attached personal history/biography
- High School transcript (sent to P.O. Box)