2016 - 2017 Scholarship application
The women of the Central Illinois Chapter of The Links, Incorporated are pleased to present the scholarship application for the
2016-2017 school year. We plan to award monetary scholarships to graduating high school students.
The Links, Incorporated is an international, not-for-profit organization, established in 1946. The membership consists of nearly 14,000 professional women of color in 283 chapters located in 41 states, the District of Columbia and the Commonwealth of the Bahamas. The organization is continuously sharpening its focus and expanding its program dimensions in order to make the name "Links" not only a chain of friendship, but also a chain of purposeful service.
1. Applicant must be an African American graduating senior planning to attend an accredited post-secondary institution for the
2017-2018 school year.
2. Applicant must have a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale or a 4.0 cumulative GPA on a 5.0 scale.
3. Applicant must reside in the Bloomington/Normal, Peoria, or Decatur areas.
4. Applicant cannot be a relative of any member of the Central Illinois Chapter of The Links, Incorporated.
5. Applicant must be a United States citizen.
1. An official high school transcript of courses completed must be mailed to the address listed below. If you are selected for the scholarship, you will be directed to provide a letter of acceptance and a copy of your official registration of first semester courses before funds are dispersed.
2. Attach a typewritten one page personal statement.
3. Attach your response to the essay question below. The essay gives us an opportunity to become acquainted with you in ways different from grades, test scores and other objective data. It allows you to show your ability to organize your thoughts and to express yourself.
The essay should be between 300 - 500 words. Please address the question below.
“How has your education contributed to who you are today?"
Essays will be judged on the following:
- The essay should be double spaced using Times New Roman font size 12.
- The response should be between 300 - 500 words.
- Comprehension - The essay reflects a through comprehension of the essay topic.
- Organization - The essay should exhibit clarity of thought.
- Writing - Correct grammar, good sentence structure, spelling, and punctuation.
4. When completing Section III, use the full name of awards, clubs or organizations (no acronyms). Attach additional sheets as necessary to complete Section III.
5. If you are selected for one of the scholarships, you will need to provide a head shot picture of yourself [jpeg ONLY] to be used in the 2017 The Links Tea Ad book and will be invited to The Tea. A scholarship presentation will be made to the winners at The Tea.
The Links, Incorporated Annual Tea celebration:
Date: April 22, 2017
Time: 11:00 a.m.
Location: DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center
10 Brickyard Drive
Bloomington, IL 61701
Please mail your transcript to the following address:
The Central Illinois Chapter of
The Links, Incorporated
c/o Scholarship Committee
P.O. Box 1815
Bloomington, IL 61702-1815
Applications must be postmarked on or before February 17, 2017.
- Completed application - submitted on or before February 17, 2017
- Attached essay
- Attached personal statement
- Official high school transcript postmarked no later than February 17, 2017 and sent to the P.O. Box